Monday, October 7, 2013

Three Beautiful Thngs 10/06/13: Restocking the Food Supply, Boardwalk Tensions, Habakkuk and Nairobi

1.  The Deke and I depleted our food supply.  Today I restocked it and then both of us went to work, each making salad.  The Deke's was cabbage based, mine built upon white beans.  Both are delicious.  I also made us a supply of peanut sauce to have on hand.

2.  I'm finding the tension in Boardwalk Empire excruciating.  Each of the multiple story lines has danger lurking inside it, meaning that there is never relief from the fear of danger or of violence.  Up to this point, I've not been enamored with the Margaret/Nucky relationship story line, but in episode #9, which I watched this evening, it became clear that Margaret is beginning to understand that she has leverage, she has power in this relationship and she's started to use it.  If this was ever a romantic relationship, I think it's moving away from romance now.  Is a power struggle, as much political and economic as anything, in the works?  We'll see.  (If you know the answer, please don't tell me.)


3.  As the lector for this morning's 11 o'clock service, I got to read from the Book of Habakkuk.  It was a stirring passage and its power increased when Robert Carlson, a longtime Bible translator in Mali, now a university professor in Nairobi, connected the passage from Habakkuk with the violence in Nairobi, and, specifically, the killings at the Westgate Mall. 

O LORD, how long shall I cry for help,
and you will not listen?
Or cry to you "Violence!"
and you will not save?
Why do you make me see wrong-doing
and look at trouble?
Destruction and violence are before me;
strife and contention arise.
So the law becomes slack
and justice never prevails.
The wicked surround the righteous--
therefore judgment comes forth perverted.  

No comments: