Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 10/28/13: The Deke Grounded, Watching the Amazin' Mets, More Flavor in the Stir Fry

1.  The Deke and I were up at four a.m. so she could catch her flight for  a visit to her daughters and grandkids.  The Deke found out at the airport that the flight was cancelled, so I turned around on Dove St. and Highway 99 and headed back out to the airport to pick her up and so we had each other's company for another day.  It was good.

2.  I discovered the other day that there are some complete baseball games posted on YouTube from past World Series and other playoffs and I was particularly interested in watching the Mets win Game 5 and clinch the 1969 World Series.  I didn't see the game when I was a sophomore in high school.  It was played during the day and I was in school, but I remember coming into the band room some time that day and Mr. Exum told me the Mets had won.  I couldn't believe it then and I was kind of blown away watching the entire game today.  What struck me the most was how low key the telecast was.  Lots of silence.  No advertisement while the game was being played, except for mention of NBC sports coverage about twice.  All commercials came on between the half innings and were not a part of the YouTube recording.  I'm wondering if media historians can pin point when sports broadcasting became so loud, hyped up, shot through with ads.  Really, in this broadcast, Curt Gowdy and Lindsey Nelson, for the most part, pretty much let the events of the game speak for themselves. They didn't try to make it more than it was.  I got a kick out of Tony Kubek being the roaming reporter with interviews in the box seats with Toots Shor, Bowie Kuhn, Pearl Bailey, Nancy Seaver, Joe DiMaggio, Averell Harriman and others. 

3.  I stir fried a bunch of vegetables, featuring eggplant, and seasoned the meal with ginger, garlic, basil, and celantro and fried the rice in sesame oil.  I wondered if I'd gone overboard, but, no, I hadn't.  The Deke and I loved all the flavors and it encouraged me to keep trying out ways to vary our vegetarian diet at home.

No comments: