Friday, October 11, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 10/10/13: Teaching on Too Little Sleep, Tasty Thai Revival, Stinger Nightcap

1.  One reason I retired was to stop being so tired.  It took me six hours to email those pictures last night.  I went to bed at one a.m. and was up shortly after six.  I don't want to do this again, but I took some cold comfort in realizing I can still do it, can still teach with clarity and passion on too little sleep.

2.  When I don't get enough sleep in dehydrates me.  When I get dehydrated, I get very fatigued.  Often, I'm too fatigued to recognize the source of my fatigue.  After class, I sat for a half an hour in my office, dozed off, woke up, sat in a stupor, dozed off, and then finally decided to trudge to the bus.  Once on the bus I realized why I was so spent.  I was dehydrated.  I got off the bus at Sacred Heart Medical Center and crept to Tasty Thai, ordered a plate of ginger garlic stir fry and drank about six or seven glasses of water.  The food and water revived me.

3.  On my way home from a meeting with lectors and lay eucharistic ministers at church, I remembered the Deke had kind of jokingly asked me the night before (or two nights before) if we had a stinger in the house.  So, I stopped off at the liquor store and bought a bottle of brandy and a bottle of white creme de menthe and the Deke and I enjoyed a stinger to cap off our evening.

No comments: