Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 10/08/13: Big Toe Test, Darrell Porter's Nephew, Pils at the Pour House

1.  I gave my once inflamed, swollen, angry big toe a test today:  I criss-crossed the Lane Community College campus, walking from place to place my students told me they wanted their portraits shot.  I enjoyed very much taking the pictures and was happy my toe held up so well.  I think it might be about 95% healed.  I hope so.

2.  One of my students requested that I take his picture at the LCC baseball field and we got to talking about baseball and he told me baseball was in his family's blood and then revealed that he is the nephew of 1982 World Series MVP, Darrell Porter, and we talked about the sad circumstances surrounding Porter's death in 2002.  I'd forgotten that Darrell Porter died from the toxic effects of cocaine.  What I did remember was that back in the early 1980s, Porter was among the first athletes to publicly acknowledge a drug/alcohol abuse problem and I remembered him talking on camera about his sobriety and how he turned away from the celebration champagne in the clubhouse after the Cardinals' 1982 World Series victory.

3.  Things were quiet and it was fun having a pint and a half of Morning After Pils at the Pour House with the Senior and Junior Warden. They invited me wind down with them after their vestry meeting at St. Mary's. 

No comments: