Monday, October 28, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 10/27/13: Insecure Taking Pictures, Olivia in 2011, World Series Relief

1.  I worked all day on recovering pictures from a memory card, culling them, and editing the ones I want to keep.  I couldn't help but observe that I've been too insecure taking pictures.  Time and time again, too many times to count,  I have taken multiple pictures of the same subject, as if repeating the shot over and over again will mean that I'll get a good picture out of all these shots.  Over the past couple of days, I've come to regard this not as a strength of taking digital pictures, but as a drawback.  I actually think it will do my confidence some good as I continue to do more of what I've done lately:  visualize a picture, go for it, and don't repeat it twelve times out of fear that the picture won't work. 

2.  It was fun to remember that when Molly and Olivia lived with us, I took quite a few pictures of Olivia, just not on a daily basis.  I remember thinking that I should be taking more pictures of Olivia.  I remember berating myself for being inattentive, not taking pictures daily of her.  Having looked at pictures I took, I'm more forgiving.  No, I didn't take daily pictures, but I got some pretty good ones, like this:



3.   One of the things I enjoy about post-season baseball?  Pitchers who are starters during the regular season pulling bullpen duty in the playoffs.  In the playoffs, pitching rotations and days of rest don't matter as much because of the urgency of each game, inning, and pitch.  The Red Sox are getting some great innings of relief out of Felix Doubront and I enjoyed that John Lackey entered tonight's game and pitched a scoreless 8th inning, even after he was the starter in Game 2 and might be the starter in Game 6 on Wednesday.  In the post-season it's all about three words:  Git r done. 

(This makes me think of Randy Johnson's 7th game relief appearance to get the final four outs against the Yankees, a day after throwing over 100 pitches in Game 6.  I also relished Bert Blyleven's four innings of scoreless relief in a must-win Game 5 in '79 against the Orioles on two days' rest.  That was the performance of Blyleven's I'll always remember most and, for me, was always what paved his way to Cooperstown.  [Not many see it this way.]).

No comments: