Friday, May 23, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 05/22/14: Pictures as Images, Back to Brails, Bottle of Lolita

1.  It was fun handing the pictures I took of my students to them.  I think many were pleased -- others, I don't know, but it's no big deal.  I got to talk with my students for a while about the tenuous relationship between pictures and the actual person or thing being photographed, and encouraged each student to think of pictures as a created image, not so much as a documentary reflection of what's actual.  I didn't go on too long about this and I think the students, by and large, enjoyed what I had to say.

2.  I hadn't been to Brails for a while and dropped in on my way to Bier Stein and Sixteen Tons for a burger and fries and some witty repartee with Ian.  It was fun.

3.  Yesterday, at 16 Tons, I bought a bottle of Goose Island's Lolita, a Belgian wild ale.  It's a sour ale, aged in French oak Cabernet Sauvignon barrels and each barrel receives 50+ pounds of fresh raspberries.  I love it and I bought the bottle so it would be chilled this afternoon and ready to share with the fellas I meet for beers on Thursday afternoon.  They were all pleased with Lolita and this made me very happy. 

No comments: