Thursday, May 1, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 04/30/14: Jolly Shipping, Primordial Beer, Nor'Wester '76

1.  I really like the woman who works at the shipping store. When I went in today she remembered what we're doing at our house, remembered that the Deke had documents sent to Maryland, and remembered that she coveted my new hand truck.  We got a good laugh out of that and her friendliness made sending two heavy parcels to NY all the more pleasant.

2.  One of the Deke's student's father made some pizza at home and sent one to school for the Deke to bring home and we enjoyed it tonight.  It was a great way to round out the night after our late afternoon session at 16 Tons where I sampled an Anchor IPA, an Oskar Blues Deviant Dale’s IPA, and then ended the session with a half pint of The Monarchy Methusalem, a very interesting Sour Altbier.  The Monarchy Methusalem gave me an odd sensation.  It felt prehistoric to me, of the earth, as if I were drinking from the primordial soup.  I enjoyed that. 

3.  Bob's post on Facebook about rocking out to 70s influenced blues rock led to an unexpected trip down memory lane as we discussed the chaos of Nor'Wester 76, the rock festival at Stateline, Idaho, at the Northwest Speedway that turned into a riot after the festival was suddenly canceled.  Cranes, semis, a dairy truck, the stage were all burned and rioters raced in vehicles at dangerous speeds around the Speedway's track.  That was June of 1976 and I was surprised that that memory was still lodged in my mind just from having seentelevision coverage of the riot and reading about it in the papers.  As Bob and I swapped posts, I suddenly remembered that the collapse of the Teton Dam in Idaho happened about the same time and I looked it up and it the two events happened on the same weekend. 

No comments: