Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Three Beautiful Things 08/16/10: BBC "State of Play", Polly Walker, Great Dinner

1. When I was recovering from c-diff and pneumonia, I went to the multi-plex and saw Russell Crowe and Rachel McAdams and Helen Mirren in an entertaining political and journalism thriller "State of Play". Now I started watching the BBC mini-series that the movie was derived from and it's stunningly good.

2. The BBC "State of Play" features Polly Walker as the disgraced MP's wife and with some effort I figured out that she was the youngest woman in "Enchanted April" at the Italian castle where the women of the movie go to get away from things. I thought she was terrific in "Enchanted April", but now, as a middle-aged woman in "State of Play" her depth and beauty as a character and an actress far surpass her work in the earlier movie. I'm enjoying her a lot.

3. Mom's sweet and sour boneless spare ribs with corn on the cob and white rice had me back at the stove helping myself to second servings.

No comments: