Thursday, September 9, 2010

Three Beautiful Things: 09/08/10: Drive in the Country, Family History, Sollozzo

1. Snug and I went on a drive in the local countryside. We out River Road to Junction City, followed High Pass Road for a while, turned around (now that I've looked at a map, I wish I'd kept going), drove back to Junction City and made my way to other spots in the county: Cheshire, Elmira, Veneta, Crow, more countryside and enjoyed how much Snug enjoys looking out the window, taking in the world around him.

2. As part of my study cleaning project, I've been going through old check receipts, keeping some, disposing of many, and have been enjoying the way the receipts document big moments in our family's history -- and funny moments, too.

3. While going through old check receipts, I put "The Godfather" on my computer and marveled for the 9000th time how perfect a movie it is. I especially enjoy watching the supporting cast and of them my favorite is Al Lettieri playing the role of Virgil "The Turk" Sollozzo. I don't know why, but these lines of his always stay with me:

Bene, Don Corleone. I need a man who has powerful friends. I need a million dollars in cash. I need, Don Corleone, all of those politicians that you carry around in your pocket, like so many nickels and dimes.

I know Sollozzo has to be killed when he is. To me, it's the climax of Michael's story. Everything about Michael follows out of this deed, of his killing Sollozzo and Capt. McCluskey. Nonetheless, I miss Sollozzo and the work of Al Lettieri as the movie continues.

No comments: