Sunday, September 26, 2010

Three Beautiful Things 09/24/10: Clean Skin, Chicken Bonz, Ice Road Logistics

1.  When I got my physical a while back,  my primary care doctor had concerns about my skin on a hidden part of my body and within four seconds the dermatologist I saw today looked and said, "Everything's fine."  It took me longer to fill out my medical history than it did to get myself checked out.  It was the quickest you-don't-have-cancer visit I've ever had to a doctor.

2.   After I left the dermatologist, I tried out Chicken Bonz in Springfield.   I walked in and immediately couldn't figure out how the place worked, and that's always a minus for me in a restaurant.  Then I realized that the menu covered the wall to my right, but I felt claustrophobic because the counter was so close to the entrance.  I felt rushed and quickly ordered six wings (I got seven!) with hot sauce and a bottle of Bud, which, to my pleasure, was packed in ice and was really cold.  I used to think the grungiest, darkest, most goth looking place I'd ever been in was John Henry's when it was on 11th, but Chicken Bonz was nearly as goth: dark, black, small, claustrophobic.  The wings were not my favorites.  For me, with wings, it all starts with the chicken and I don't think this franchise uses quality chicken.  The sauce was pretty good, but the whole meal was pretty salty and I prefer baked or broiled wings to deep fried.  I also really enjoy wings with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing.  Chicken Bonz doesn't serve this.  I appreciate all those who have recommended Chicken Bonz to me, but I don't think I'll go back.   At this point, I think my favorite wings were at the Wild Duck, now closed.  I also like the wings at the Steelhead Brewery.  My search continues.  I'm thinking somewhere has got to top Steelhead.  I think I'll try The Cooler next even though I hear their wings are breaded.  I would try the Villard Pub, but it closes Oct. 3.  I'd hate to really  enjoy wings at the Villard Pub and then not be able to eat them again!

3.  More than the truckers, what fascinates me as I watch "Ice Road Truckers" is all the non-trucker workers who make the trucking possible:  the plow drivers, the radar guys who check the thickness of the ice, the divers who train to be on the ready if a truck breaks through the ice and goes down, the emergency crews that come out when trucks break down, the guys working the garage who repair broken down trucks, not to mention the highway patrol.  The whole logistical support that makes ice road trucking possible and keeps things running is very impressive and those who make the roads on the ice and keep them open are putting themselves at risk in ways that are much less glamorous for television, but crucial.   I'm very happy I found this program on Netflix Instant Watching.

No comments: